Thursday, June 25, 2015



 

The course, Dynamics of Policies and Systems, within my doctoral program presented me with the feeling of concern.  What do I know about systems and policies?  What experiences have I had in this foundational area of early childhood education?  Although I am presented with apprehensiveness toward this topic, I am beginning to acknowledge that these policies and systems largely impact my role as an early childhood professional and an advocate for positive social change within this area of education. 

According to the text, Policy Studies for Educational Leaders, “Policy is the dynamic and value-laden process through which a political system handles a public problem.  It includes a government’s expressed intentions and official enactments, as well as its consistent patterns of activity and inactivity.”  (Fowler, 2013, p. 5).  An early childhood system is defined by Kagan and Kauerz as, “including early care and education and the early elementary grades and also extends to embrace comprehensive services for young children, including health and mental health services.” (Kagan & Kauerz, 2012, p. 9).

 One goal that I intend to pursue throughout this course is to enable myself to effectively analyze polices and systems that impact the work of early childhood professionals.  “NAEYC members, most of whom work directly with young children and families, see daily the toll of ill-conceived policies on the lives of the children and families we serve. Existing programs have too often taken fragmented, piecemeal approaches to the complex issues facing children and families. Effective policies have seldom been funded at sufficient levels to provide adequate support to all families who might benefit.”  ("National Association of Education for Young Chldren," 2015, p. 1).  Expanding my knowledge on analyzing these policies will equip me with the information needed to contribute to a positive change and/or support in this area.

As an early childhood educator, it is my aim to successfully evaluate existing systems of early care and education to improve outcomes for young children and families. According to the National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAECY), “Several decades of research clearly demonstrate that high-quality, developmentally appropriate early childhood programs produce short- and long-term positive effects on children's cognitive and social development.”("National Association of Education for Young Children," 2015, p. 1).  As a scholar-practitioner working toward positive social change in early childhood education, my work begins within my own classroom and that of the child care center in which my own children attend as well.  In analyzing these systems, I can provide quality, educated feedback on how to continuously improve early childhood care and education.

Evaluating the skills needed to manage change and build relationships in the field of early childhood is another goal I intend to reach throughout the course of this semester.  A key component of quality programs is the quality of teacher.  Continuing to build my knowledge base, as well as building reciprocal relationships with colleagues and families, will allow me to strengthen my impact within the field of early childhood education.  Parental involvement and positive relationships within the workplace allow the community to view the educator as professional, confident, and equipped with the ability to create positive changes within the community and more. 

It is not enough to take steps which may someday lead to a goal; each step must be a goal in itself.  Throughout the course of this semester, I will continue to build on my knowledge base in order to continue to strive to make a positive difference in the field of early childhood education.  All who have accomplished great things have had a great aim, have fixed their gaze on a goal which was high, my aims are high and I intend to reach them one step at a time.
 
 


 

References



2 comments:

  1. Hi Kerri:
    I had many of the same initials thoughts that you expressed when I first looked at the course. I quickly recognized the importance of the class and embraced a new learning opportunity. The goals you have established are goals that I have determined to work toward as well. You presented goals that are genuine and will positively impact children and families. I am certain that I will see professional growth as a result of the course and I look forward to increasing my knowledge base step by step.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the response! Just in the first few weeks of this course, I feel that my knowledge base has expanded tremendously. Each module presents me with new challenges and research opportunities that I find to be a bit difficult, but in that difficulty, achieving the desired results make it all worth while. Good luck to you and I look forward to continuing our learning experience together!

    ReplyDelete