Friday, May 8, 2015



 
Inclusive education presents many challenges for educators.  With the implementation of common core standards, the No Child Left Behind Act, and standardized assessments, educators have had more stress added to their daily routines.  This leaves to question, what are the perceptions of teachers, special and regular education, regarding inclusive classroom settings?  I have had the opportunity to interview three educators in order to support my topic for the major assessment within my doctorate course.  The interviewees include the director of special education within my county, a special needs educator, and a regular educator.  These educators presented me with a wealth of information regarding inclusive education and their perspectives on special needs children within the regular classroom setting. 

One response to an interview question stated, “One of my first assumptions was that as educators we are the experts in our field. However, over time I've grown to understand that many of our families of students with disabilities are also experts as they've spent much more time and many hours of research for their child's specific disability. How has this changed over time? Trying to convey that to my peers while maintaining a balance as experts as well is probably one of the most challenging because we can most often visualize the "big" picture from an educational standpoint, whereas many of our parents are unable to do so.”

Educators need to understand the importance of parental involvement and encourage this type of behavior within their classroom environments.  Parents can prove to be a valuable tool for regular education teachers as well as special educators, with the knowledge that they have about their own child’s disability.  My interviewee emphasized the importance of embracing the families each school year; although educators are considered experts in the field, they must also understand that different perspectives can become visible when these opinions are voiced.  Equipped with this valuable knowledge, an educator can work toward building positive social change within the educational environment by embracing all points of view and encouraging involvement in order to better serve all students whether they be special needs or regular education students. 

I feel that the interview process was very successful.  The interviewees that I chose for my project were readily available via e-mail, as well as in-person.  These individuals felt comfortable sharing their true feelings with me about the topic of inclusion.  This openness and honesty adds integrity to my final project because only when true ability, feelings, and confidence toward inclusion is shared, positive changes can be made in this area in order to better prepare our educators for this type of classroom environment. 
 
I am currently compiling the information and knowledge that I have gained from the literature reviews, discussions, and research conducted throughout this course in order to begin my major assessment project on inclusive education and the perceptions of special and regular education teachers.  One question that I face when compiling my information is whether or not a focus should be presented on the certain types of disabilities that are served within the inclusive classroom setting.  Could the disability types be the cause of negative perceptions toward inclusive classroom settings?  What factors are considered when deciding whether or not the inclusive classroom is, indeed, the least restrictive environment?

5 comments:

  1. Hi Kerri

    Great insight on your interview process. It seems that you had a great experience. Your topic is thought provoking. I always try to view education topics through the lens of a parent first. I agree wholeheartedly that only when true ability, feelings, and confidence toward inclusion is shared, positive changes can be made in this area in order to better prepare our educators for this type of classroom environment. We need educators to be honest, be true and be respectful. That is truly how we initiate change.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shayla,
    I thank you for the insights and words of encouragement on the topic of inclusion. It is so much more common within education to see students being educated within this setting. In kindergarten especially, some students are not even identified as special needs when entering school and that is a year long process in itself. There are so many aspects to this topic that are of high interest to me! Thank you again for your comments.
    Kerri

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kerri,

    Your posts always inspire me. It seems like your interview has been very successful. How do you see this topic fitting into your doctoral study? I know as a kindergarten teacher the children are not at an age where they can be diagnosed yet so all of your children are being taught in an inclusive classroom. Do you think it causes kindergarten teachers to be more inclusive because they are unable to have labeled children? Do you think once a child has a label it is more difficult for them to be in an inclusive classroom? I am really interested to know how your interview and the literature are aligned.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jill,
    I actually have one student that comes to mind after reading your post. I have a little boy in my classroom that I have had now for the past two years. In kindergarten, many children are not yet identified as special needs and that was the case with this young man. This little boy was tested as mental retardation at the end of the school year. Unfortunately, it was evident from the very first day of school; however, the process is of getting a child identified is lengthy. Collecting data and going through the tiers of intervention before testing can even begin, etc. was extremely time consuming. He is now repeating kindergarten and is in my room for his second year; however, he is now pull out. He spends a few hours each day in the self contained classroom for reading and math and spends the rest of the day with me. He has done great because my special education teacher is amazing and she is one of my interviewees as well. It was interesting to see how the interviews correlated with my research. I found that in both my research and interviews that teachers are supportive of working with special needs children , but do not feel fully equipped to serve them in an inclusive setting. My conclusions are coming down to the need of more professional development in preparing teachers for special needs in the regular education classroom. Thanks for your response and insightful questions!
    Kerri

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kerri:
    What a great topic. You had great interview participants for your Course Project. I am sure they were able to give you a wealth of information. I am truly impressed with how you indicated that parents had great insights. Parents tend to definitely be a great source of information in reference to their children behaviors, challenges, and successes.
    Happy Learning…

    ReplyDelete