Saturday, October 4, 2014

Global Perspectives Research: Technology and Child Development


 
 
Mr. Rogers “sums it all up” with the following quote, “Play is often talked about as if it were a relief from serious learning.  But for children, play is serious learning.  Play is really the work of childhood.”  During the course of my research efforts, I have been challenged and inspired to dig deep into the effects of technology on child development.  I have found that technology has changed the way in which children play within our technologically driven society. 

 
Technology usage increase at a steady rate as technological tools continue to advance.  Our children are exposed to this technology at early stages of life and, as adults, we are modeling this ‘plugged in’ behavior.  When one attends a restaurant and takes the time to absorb what is going on around them, you will see many people engaged in technology rather than enjoying the company of those that are with them.  Cell phones, I pods, laptops, I pads, and many more take our attention away from those around us.  We are so ‘plugged in’ that we are not plugged in to what is really going on around us.

Much of the research in which I have conducted supports technology within the facets of educational means.  The research that I have encountered also discusses the importance of creating a balance between play and technology during the early childhood years. 

 
Educators have an advantage of being equipped with many facets of technologies in the classroom environment.  These tools include computers, SMART boards, laptops, I pads, and many more.  Educators are competing with leap pads and apps that are engaging for these children as well.  Educators are having to work hard to implement technology as well as play based instruction in order to ensure that children are developing in an appropriate manner. 

 

My experiences in researching the topic of technology and child development through the realm of play has been challenging, enlightening, and inspiring.  I have learned much about this current topic that will continue to grow and change as technology continues to change and advance at a continuous rate.  However, it is my goal to influence others to research this topic and to understand the negative effects that technology can have on child development.  All of the research in which I have conducted has one thing in common, there needs t be a balance, an opportunity to unplug and take in the surroundings that are all around.  Technology is not going to disappear or be removed from a child’s life, it has many positive effects as well.  My goal as an advocate for social change is to make people aware of the need for a balance in order for children to develop in a positive manner.





 

4 comments:

  1. Kerri,

    I enjoyed reading your blog. Every time I read, "plugged," in your blog, it saddens me. You are right to say that technology can be a great learning material, but not to the extend of overuse. In recent weeks or months, I noticed some comments through facebook about how people are decreasing their face-to-face socialization and that threaten the humanity. It is our duty as educators to ensure that children enjoy face-to-face socialization as a part of their learning process. Good blog,Kerri!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kerri:
    You are so "on point" with your assessment of technology. It is a great tool for teaching and learning and so many other things, especially when appropriately utilized. I really like the quote you selected by Rogers. Learning and hard work are characteristics of play. Roger's quote, if taken to heart, erases the misconceptions about the tremendous value of play.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kerri,

    I love the way that you expressed yourself in this blog post. The Fred Rogers quote is also one of my favorites. I thought the way you explained how technology impacts our lives as well as showing pictures of how much technology runs our lives was great. I have enjoyed learning with you and from you in this class and look forward to our continued journey. My best friends children are in Kindergarten this year and they all have I Pad's and the first thing I thought was I wonder what Kerri would have to say about this and how she would use them if she were in that school. You are an inspiration.

    Thanks so much,
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kerri, you nailed it! Thank you for spreading the word about technology use and the importance of play. Technology is like junk food to kids. For a brief moment, some technology with young children was a great thing. Now, it's overboard. We as adults have to be know when enough is enough. I find it challenging to limit tech time during centers. I used to take two iPads to use as centers each day. After reading your blogs, I limit the days that iPads are used and I enforce the time limit. Your page is neat and playful.

    ReplyDelete